Upon completing this unit, students
will be able to:
1. Describe and analyze various factors contributing to the outbreak of World War I.
2. Describe characteristics, goals, and aspirations of the people of the Ottoman empire.
3. Imagine how the goals and aspirations of the combatants might have been met if the war had been avoided.
4. Analyze the Armenian holocaust and compare it to genocide of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
5. Describe the effects of nationalism in the twentieth century, and speculate about the place of nationalism in the twenty-first century.
6. Evaluate the characteristics of a good treaty as they apply or do not apply to the Treaty of Versailles.