Upon completing this unit, students
will be able to:
1. Locate on a map the Iberian Peninsula, Anatolian Peninsula, Levant, Ganges, Tigris,
Euphrates, Nile, Red Sea, Aegean Sea, Persian Gulf, Khyber Pass, Nineveh, Babylon,
2. Describe the impact that iron technology had on the Indo-Mediterranean region.
3. Identify the Phoenicians and describe the impact of their trade on the Indo-Mediterranean
4. Locate the Assyrian empire, and describe the ways in which Assyrians expanded and
controlled their empire.
5. Explain the relationship between the Phoenician trade network and the Assyrian empire.
6. Define monotheism and its relationship to the Hebrews and the emergence of Judaism.
7. Define and explain the significance of the caste system in India as it emerged in the first
8. List some similarities and differences in religious beliefs between Judaism and Hinduism.