1. Identify the interests of Russian reformers and their attempts to change the Soviet Union.
2. Assess the effect these issues had the dissolution of the Soviet Union.
3. Understand the geography of pre- and post-1989 Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union.
4. Analyze the factors that led to the unification of Germany in a peaceful manner.
5. Analyze the reasons for ethnic conflict in Yugoslavia and the dissolution of this multiethnic state.
6. Assess the ability of alliances that cross class, national, and ethnic boundaries to achieve positive change.